Licentiate of Sacred Theology (S.T.L.)
S.T.L. Admission Requirements
- Completion of the Application Form.
- Completion of the Required Immunization Information Form which is mandated by the State of Illinois, Acts 85-1315. (Current M.Div. students should already have this form on file). All this material can obtained from the Office of Registrar or the website.
- An S.T.B. or a M. Div. with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2 in the S.T.B. Core Curriculum Courses. (See the S.T.B. Core Curriculum above).
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and post-graduate work. (Current M.Div. students will already have these on file).
- Three letters of recommendation:
- one from the ecclesiastical superior (for clergy or religious) or from the proper pastor (for laity) confirming your good standing in your church
- two letters from a professor or academic instructor in theology or a related field.
- A personal essay between 1000—1500 words explaining the applicant’s intellectual interests and reason for pursuing the degree.
- An example of scholarly work such as one complete research paper of at least 15 pages (not including bibliography) written in the last five years. For those applicants completing the S.T.B. at Mundelein Seminary, this requirement is fulfilled by the three S.T.B. Research papers already submitted and in the student’s file.
- Language competency must be demonstrated before final acceptance into the program. Competency is demonstrated by passing the USML language examinations (with a minimum score of 86% / B) in Latin and one other research language (biblical Hebrew, classical or koine Greek, French, German, Italian, or Spanish). These exams are administered at the University twice a year. See the calendar for the scheduled dates. Aspirants to the S.T.L. program are encouraged to sit for the exams before submitting an application. Samples of the language exams may be requested from the Registrar.
- Completion of all requirements must be submitted to the Registrar by:
- Fall Semester, the preceding March 15
- Spring Semester, the preceeding October 15
- Notification of acceptance to the program will be given by March 30 and October 30, respectively.