Lay Leadership is a two-year certificate program designed to form the laity of the Archdiocese of Chicago in their human, spiritual, academic, and pastoral dimensions.
The program is for you if you are seeking to:
- Grow in faith and spirituality
- Engage in deep, systematic study of the Scriptures, Church History, Catholic Doctrine, the Sacraments, and the Catechism
- Take classes with top scholars and Archdiocesan leaders, including the faculty of the University of St. Mary of the Lake
- Develop confidence and practical skills for active participation in the life of the Church
- Move through the program as a cohort, learning in a supportive community and building valuable relationships with other Catholics passionate about their faith
The Lay Leadership curriculum covers key areas of the Catholic faith and emphasizes integration of content into everyday life. Adult learning style classes consist of lecture, small and large group discussion, and integration papers.
The program follows the semester calendar of the University of St. Mary of the Lake. Classes meet once a week on Monday evenings from 7pm to 9pm. Two designated sites are available: the University of St. Mary of the Lake in Mundelein and Saint Xavier University in Chicago.
- Introduction to the Catechism & Catholic Doctrine
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Sacramental Theology
Much of the human, spiritual, and pastoral formation takes place during retreats and formation days at the University of St. Mary of the Lake. These formation events are essential for developing the cohort into a true community of faith and practice. Participants from both sites come together for prayer, input, and reflection for the following events:
- Opening and Closing Retreats, one weekend each at the beginning and end of the program
- Formation Days, approximate one full Saturday per month
Formation Day topics:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Theological Reflection
- Approaches to Prayer
- Making Moral Decisions
- Pastoral Care
- Social Justice
- Communication Skills
- Mariology & Devotional Piety
- Church & Culture
- Sexual Morality
- Church History I
- Church History II
- Church History III
- Canon Law I
- Canon Law II
- Catholic Identity
Lay Leadership is now accepting applications for the 2012-2013 academic. If you are discerning the decision to join the program, take a look at our brochure and contact the Institute for Lay Formation at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 837-4550.
Lay Leadership is now accepting applications for the 2013-2014 academic year.
For more details about the program, download our current brochure or contact the Institute for Lay Formation at (847) 837-4550.
Updated 2013 documents coming soon.
The program cost is $1,200 per year and includes tuition, books, and all formation expenses. Monthly payment plans are available.
Students may opt to pay the full amount independently or negotiate with their parish or sponsoring agency to share the cost.